[Dovecot] Dovecot suggestions for new installation

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 13 17:54:49 EET 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Michael Durket wrote:

> I've been testing Dovecot for a while now and am preparing to
> replace our outdated IMAP
> system with it. The current system serves about 300 email users who
> run a mixture of
> clients (Eudora, Apple Mail, Thunderbird and Outlook). Can any of
> the many experts on
> this list answer a few questions:
>
>    1) What's the latest stable release of Dovecot I should be
> running on this new system
>         (Dovecot will be running on a RedHat Linux AS 4 64 bit
> system with plenty of memory
>         and CPU). I've been running 1.13 on my test system but I see
> that 1.18 just came
>         out (although I don't know if I should switch to it
> immediately.

I recommend 1.1.8. Especially if you're planning on using mbox format,
since it fixes several bugs related to it.

>    2)  What configuration file options (if any) should I turn on to
> best handle the range of
>          email clients listed above?

Look at the imap_client_workarounds setting and enable the ones you
need.

Not really. The default options should be fine for that. Anyway see http://wiki.dovecot.org/PerformanceTuning

>   And, just out of curiosity, I'm looking into the idea of switching
> users from mbox format
> over to Maildir format on this system (it will use all locally-
> connected disks and have no
> NFS mounts). Does the Dovecot automatic migration program to migrate
> from mbox
> to Maildir work well or are there "gotchas"?

It doesn't preserve message UIDs, which causes clients to redownload
them. This isn't such a big deal with IMAP, but if you have any POP3
users that could be a problem (although you should make sure
pop3_uidl_format is correct in any case).

I'd anyway recommend using one of the scripts that preserves UIDs,
just in case. http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-March/029736.html
apparently should work.

Also you should configure Dovecot to use '/' as the namespace
separator for maildir too. Some clients don't like it when the
separator changes unexpectedly. Also the '/' is more "standard"
anyway. You might also want http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Listescape
to allow using '.' characters in mailbox names, which you might
already have.