[Dovecot] deliver: command died with signal 6

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Tue Jan 13 20:20:50 EET 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:46:04PM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Reading your old mails: are you still using GPFS? This crash just
> shouldn't be happening, so perhaps something randomly breaks with it.
> Are you using mmap_disable=yes? Multiple servers can access the same
> user's mails at the same time?

Yes, we're using GPFS, but haven't turned on mmap_disable=yes. I believe
GPFS should handle mmap across the cluster, and it's been working fine
without this setting with the old v1.0.0+.

Do you have any idea what the performance impact should be of turning on
mmap_disable=yes ?

> Anyway Dovecot still shouldn't be crashing no matter what GPFS does, but
> I won't try to fix v1.0 indexing bugs anymore since I've already done a
> ton of work to get them more robust in v1.1.

Ok, we are planning to move to v1.1, but figured we needed to first move
to a high number v1.0-release to have the option of reverting from a
v1.1 if we hit any problems.. Not quite sure how we'll handle this now.

  -jf