[Dovecot] Maildir++ quota: When is it recalculated?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 14 17:18:30 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 14:30 +0100, Ulrich Zehl wrote:
> We use Maildir++ quota, with the rules taken from our LDAP backend. We also
> have an old expunge script that's not quota-aware; it removes old messages
> from the maildir by simply deleting the files.
>
> Sometimes, a mailbox is over quota before the script runs, but well under
> quota after the old messages are deleted. This change does not seem to be
> picked up, however: When I try to deliver a new message (using Dovecot's
> deliver), the attempt fails with an "over quota" error.
>
> I tried finding out from the source code whether this is intended behavior,

http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html explains it
in "Calculating the quota for a Maildir++". Dovecot uses the same
method.

> but unfortunately, I'm not enough of a programmer, so I have to ask here:
> Should I be able to delete mails from a maildir, and expect the quota
> plugin to notice the change?

I think it should notice most times, but not necessarily always. Can you
reproduce this with simple steps? Meaning that if maildirsize file is
either older than 15 minutes or longer than two lines, does Dovecot not
recalculate the quota when user is over quota?