[Dovecot] Possible Bug segnalation

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 15 22:17:46 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 18:28 +0100, Claudio Prono wrote:
> >> dovecot: Jan 15 10:59:55 Info: POP3(michele at domain.net): Mailbox init
> >> failed top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/29, size=932800
> >>

> > Do you see another error message? This isn't actually error (see the
> > Info: line there). The error message should be written either before
> > that line, or perhaps in another log file entirely. See
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging
> >

> I have looked at all the logging file of Dovecot, but no other error
> found...
..
> log_path: /var/log/dovecot-err.log

It must have written it to dovecot-err.log. The code looks like this:

	i_error("Couldn't init INBOX: %s", errmsg);
	client_destroy(client, "Mailbox init failed");

So before logging the "Mailbox init failed" it always logs the "Couldn't
init INBOX" to the error log. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't
have done that.

> >> Then, the messages from the pop server was deleted,
> >>

> > Probably the messages were deleted by the previous download? This error
> > message doesn't cause messages to be deleted.
> >

> No, sorry i have explained bad what is happened. The Client have
> downloaded all the mail, without problems. Then, i have send to him a
> mail for testing purpouse, and the error is happened. The client have
> got an error like "can't do STAT command to mail server, connection
> lost", the mail i have sended to him is deleted, and no mail was
> recieved from the Client.

Are you sure the mail was ever even successfully written to the maildir?
Are you using Dovecot's deliver to deliver the mails?