[Dovecot] Dovecot handling of over quota messages

mouss mouss at ml.netoyen.net
Sun Jan 18 02:45:49 EET 2009

Andrzej Adam Filip a écrit :
> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 17, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Gary V wrote:
>>
>>> Then a bounce is created stating the mail was rejected:
>>>
>>> Your message to <test at example.com> was automatically rejected:
>>> Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full).
>>>
>>> Question: is it possible (without changing code) to alter this to
>>> where deliver would instead tempfail or something. Somehow it seems
>>> wrong to me to tell the MTA that everything is good, and then silently
>>> discard messages - regardless of the fact dovecot creates a bounce.
>>> This is not necessarily ideal either, but I _am_ wondering if this is
>>> configurable or not.
>> a) deliver -e
>>
>> b) quota_full_tempfail=yes
>>
>> c) a+b
>
> Are there any plans to allow MTA check recipient over quota status?
>
> Sendmail support simple "socket map" protocol that can be used for
> such queries.
>
> It should allow to reject (not all) messages
> a) in replies to "RCPT TO:"
>    for messages with right message size passed in "MAIL FROM:"
> b) in replies to "the final dot" for single recipient messages.
>
> P.S.
> Cyrus IMAP supports "socket map" :-)

This is a difficult problem:
- with aliases and virtual aliases, you don't know which quota to check
unless you expand aliases during the smtp transaction.
- since many messages may be received at small intervals, and delivery
is not atomic (mail may be passed to a spam filter, ... etc). dealing
with this is not easy in the general case.

That said, a solution that "mostly works" may be good enough.