[Dovecot] Default mbox file ownership and permissions with static userdb

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 18 02:57:54 EET 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 8:40 PM, Christian Kreibich wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I'm using Dovecot 1.1.7 in a simple setup with a static userdb:
>
>  userdb:
>    driver: static
>    args: uid=50018 gid=50019 home=/home/dovemail

Instead of numbers you can here also use uid=dovemail gid=doveusers

> When my users create folders via IMAP, the ownership of the mbox
> file is
> user dovemail, group dovemail, and permissions are 600. I'd like
> this to
> change to user dovemail, group doveusers, permissions 660, but I can't
> figure out a way to do it. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

You'll get doveusers group by changing the gid to doveusers. To get
660 permissions you can set umask=07 in dovecot.conf. The umask
changing is kind of a kludge and not really recommended, but currently
there's no better way. It may also change other files (but not all) to
use 660 permissions.