[Dovecot] redirecting temp email files to another directory

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 19 08:45:45 EET 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 1:40 AM, JANE CUA wrote:

> sample temp files that gets create in /var/spool/mail
> -rw------ jane mail _43398509485894865jane

I'm certain Dovecot didn't create this file at least directly.

> -rw------ jane mail jane.lock

This is a dotlock and it can be created by Dovecot. You could also
probably disable it. http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxLocking http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/mbox

> other users create these files randomly as well in /var/spool/mail, /
> var/spool/mail is an NFS mount.

Hmm. NFS is a pretty good suspect here. I know that in some situations
it creates such temp files, although they're usually
named .nfs.something. Are those files deleted or are they just lying
around? What size do they have?