[Dovecot] deliver rejection bounces

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Jan 19 16:32:58 EET 2009

Steffen Kaiser schrieb:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>
>> As a mail admin, I never want to see deliver generating its own
>> messages to potentially forged addresses and spamming innocent people.
>> The MTA should do this during the SMTP transaction.
>
> Which MTA tries to deliver the mail during the SMTP dialogue?
> Neither Postfix nor sendmail does, unfortunately. Well, one would open
> yet another can of worms, if doing so, I guess.
>
> Bye,
>
> -- Steffen Kaiser

Depends what kind of bounce you mean
i.e quota full bounce
 can be avoided by postfix with vda patch
( which isnt official supported by postfix hackers )
but you cant use an additional lda then ( so you may loose filter stuff )
but in fact if you look in your logs daily
and have good Anitvirus and Antispam stuff integrated
and setuped
,backscatters by lda are very rare, and mostly have easy
solutions, like expand quota, deleting mailboxes etc
so its like others said avoid to bounce  to spam mails
is the most stuff, i.e clamav-milter helps a lot killing
worms etc on smtp income level, if sanesecurity is up again
this will work again for known spam
--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer