[Dovecot] docecot managesieve global filter, service name

Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de
Wed Jan 21 12:37:25 EET 2009

I do have two questions related to the managesieve setup in dovecot

1) I did setup a global sieve filter, that is invoked if a user has no
other sieve filter. If a user installs a sieve filter and activates it
(PUTSCRIPT, SETACTIVE) then the sieve filter gets compiled (.sievec) and
deliver does use it.

If I want to deactivate the filter (SETACTIVE "") only the symlink (to the
.sieve script) is removed, the .sievec file remains intact. On the other
hand the dovecot documentation reads (http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve):

To stop using sieve, both the .sieve source file and the compiled .sievec
file must be deleted

How can I let a user switch between the globally installed sieve filter
and an own filter. Activation seems to be ok, but deactivation would not
result in the switch back to the global filter if I believe the docs.

2) To use the SASL authentication with managesieve the name of the
service has to be given. In the managesieve RFC
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sieve-managesieve-09
I can read (page13): The service name specified by this protocol's profile
of SASL is  "sieve".

On the other hand I can find in managesieve-0.10.4 in
client-authenticate.c

#define MANAGESIEVE_SERVICE_NAME "managesieve"

The name is important for the Kerberos5 auth I am doing, as I have to
provide a service key for managesieve.hostname at REALM instead of
sieve.hostname at REALM. Currently I have adapted my auth to the
"managesieve" service name but maybe that should be changed.

My Installation: dovecot 1.1.8 patched for dovecot-1.1-managesieve-0.10.4
Authentication using SASL (GSSAPI), contained in the perl Module
Net::ManageSieve on CPAN.
--
Wolfgang Friebel                   Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone/Fax:  +49 33762 77372/216    Platanenallee 6