[Dovecot] Symlink shared mailboxes and system_user extra field

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Jan 27 16:28:27 EET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:23:38PM +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:

Hello again ;-(

I think the ambiguity may come from that statement in the doc (wiki) :

"Both symlinking and namespaces have a common problem: Dovecot needs to have
permissions to read, and possibly to write to the shared mailbox."

My understanding of that statement is : not the 'dovecot' user, but the user himself
since dovecot acts with its effective uid/gid.

"Besides to limit the access to a shared mailbox via the ACL plugin, the Unix
permission must allow the access of the user to the files. If you use real
(system) users or multiple UIDs and rely on Unix permissions per group, make
sure to set the system_user field explained in UserDatabase/ExtraFields."

Note sure about that : are ACLs optionnal (only to fine tune what unix
permission can do) or mandatory ?

Does it make sense to use both system_user and acl_groups extra fields ?

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau