[Dovecot] mbox to maildir batch conversion

Mike Hobbs mhobbs at mtl.mit.edu
Thu Jan 29 19:29:44 EET 2009

Hello,

I'm upgrading my mail server from UW to Dovecot and I'd like to convert
from mbox to maildir.  I've successfully convert myself and a few other
users with the mb2md script.  All is well.

My question is, I have somewhere around 500 users and about 122gb of
mail folders to convert (this does not include the inbox at /var/mail).

mb2md needs to be run as each user to convert.  Are there any programs
or scripts out there that will allow me to convert everyone at the same
time?

I know there is a Dovecot plugin to convert mail, but we didn't want to
use this option.

I'm sure someone on this list was in the same situation as me, how did
you handle a massive conversion?

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!