[Dovecot] Dovecot on Mac - Entourage cannot fetch emails

Bijo bijoytm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:46:16 EET 2009

Hi,

Dovecot 1.1.3 is running on Mac OS X 10.5 latest version, with Maildir
(LAYOUT=fs).  I have following issues when Entourage 2008 connects it, over
imap/imaps.

Entourage does not cache the mails.  After every restart the folder contents
are fetched fresh.  I have enabled the Entourage option to get entire
messages.  Entourage caches the gmail IMAP folders fine.  Also Outlook 2007
does not have this problem while connecting to the same IMAP server.

I have some big folders with a few thousands of emails.  Entourage fails
with Error: 4362 (Mail could not be retrieved this time) while fetching
mails from these folders.  Restarting and rebuilding the Entourage database
did not fix this issue.

Any tips to resolve these issues or to debug what is going on would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bijoy