[Dovecot] alias best practice

Odhiambo ワシントン odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 18:16:05 EEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Luigi Rosa <lists at luigirosa.com> wrote:

> Given a Linux mail server with Postfix+Dovecot using MySQL as userbase, a
> single
> Linux user for file system access, two mail domains configured (acme1.com
> acme2.com) and a maildir structure as follows
>
> \var\spool\mail\acme1.com-
>                         \user1
>                         \user2
>                         \user3
> \var\spool\mail\acme2.com-
>                         \user1
>                         \user2
>                         \user3
>

> I want that the mail of user1 at acme1.com and user1 at acme2.com goes in
> \var\spool\mail\acme1.com\user1

That's the job for your MTA. Simply make acme2.com and alias to acme1.com

> Note that there could be some users not equal between two domains.

You mean that there can be userX at acme2.com but no userX at acme1.com? Well, in
the case of aliasing, or address rewriting (BTW, I only know how to use Exim
so I am talking about the conceptualization here), if acme2.com is an alias
of acme1.com, then users only need to exist on acme1.com. Suppose there is
johndoe at acme2.com and no account exists for johndoe at acme1.com then in the
case of aliasing the mail to johndoe will fail!

> What is the best practice?
>
> 1) Alias at Postfix level

I was going to say yes, but please note my explanation above.

> 2) The same maildir path specified in MySQL record

Not really. Doesn't sound good. Deliver mail based on the existence/validity
of e-mail account.

> 3) ln -s between \var\spool\mail\acme1.com\user1 and \var\spool\mail\
> acme2.com\user1

Forget this.

> 4) Else? (Dovecot virtual mailbox)

I haven't tried this at all.