[Dovecot] Managesieve fails to retrieve scripts > 8kB on Dovecot 1.1.16

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Sat Jul 4 13:41:47 EEST 2009

John Marshall schreef:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, 18:29 +0200, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>> John Marshall wrote:
>>
>>>   --< snip: 169 lines removed >--
>>>  # This is a sieve script file fuNO "Unknown error"
>>>
>> There's our problem. There's only one location in the sources where this
>> most informative error can occur :) . Apparently, Timo has fixed an old
>> bug in the Dovecot stream implementation. This bugfix triggers a problem
>> in ManageSieve that uses an older section of code of the imap daemon.
>> Timo provided the solution and I've committed the fix:
>>
>> http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-1.1-managesieve/rev/75c9769339b8
>>
>> Please apply this to your managesieve source and check whether the
>> problem is gone. I'll make a new release when all is ok.
>
> Thank you Stephan,
>
> Was the patch for cmd-getscript.c the only patch?  I applied that patch
> to cmd-getscript.c and rebuilt.  That eliminated the informative error
> message but still does not return the entire script.
>
>   GETSCRIPT "test_9000"
>   {9223}
>   # This is a sieve script file full of comments
>    --< snip: 169 lines removed >--
>   # This is a sieve script file fu
>   OK "Getscript completed."

I was hoping that this uninformative error was now spurious, meaning
that my 'fix' indeed only got rid of the error message. However, as it
seems, the stream is still truncated. I rebuilt the truncation check,
now with a proper error and disconnect (because the protocol state is
invalid then).

However, regarding the core of this problem, I am unable to reproduce
this at my end without access to a FreeBSD system. Could you (or some
other FreeBSD user) try to dig a little deeper to find out exactly why
the stream ends prematurely? Alternatively, I would have to install
FreeBSD somewhere, which will take more time.

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch
stephan at rename-it.nl