[Dovecot] getting Apple Mail and dovecot/IMAP to co-operate

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 8 20:38:22 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 18:33 +0100, Jim Reid wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response Timo. Sadly, your suggestion doesn't
> look as if it'll work because there are many non-empty parent
> mailboxes that have to get shifted to the new dovecot server. ie There
> are messages in sub as well as sub/box: too many to move to sub/
> whatever. And there are many of these sorts of folders too. Some
> mailboxes are even more deeply nested with subfolders: sub/box1/box2
> where sub/box1 holds messages. Looks like an all-mbox solution isn't
> going to be viable at all. Oh well.

Right, in that case you can't use FS layout. But you could use e.g.
Maildir++ layout:

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:LAYOUT=maildir++

Then the mailboxes get created like:

~/mail/.sub
~/mail/.sub.box

> > I don't really know about that. What kind of a namespace configuration
> > exactly did you use?
>
> Here's the last one I tried before hitting a dead end. There were
> various combinations of settings for the prefix, hidden and list
> variables that were tried unsuccessfully before that.
>
> ###namespace private {
> ###  separator = /
> ###  #prefix = "#mbox/"
> ###  location = mbox:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

This is a broken location setting. It's missing the mbox root directory.

> ###  inbox = yes
> ###  #hidden = yes
> ###  list = no   # for v1.1+
> ###}

It should be list=yes, otherwise mailboxes aren't visible to client.
Probably hidden=yes too so it won't confuse other clients.

> ###namespace private {
> ###  separator = /
> ###  prefix =

Two namespaces can't have the same prefix. You commented out in the
first one, so that doesn't work. If you wanted Dovecot to somehow
automatically figure out what mailboxes are maildir and what are mboxes,
that's not possible yet.

> ###  location = maildir:/mail/imap/$u:LAYOUT=fs

There's no such thing as $u. I guess meant %u.