[Dovecot] Can Dovecot Proxy GMail?

Paul Carter-Brown paul.carter-brown at smilecoms.com
Wed Jul 15 11:52:28 EEST 2009

Hi,

We are using gmail (google apps) across our company with most users
using outlook (windoze) or evolution (linux) and imap/pop based on user
preference. We are having issues in that our internet links are fairly
slow and when users download mails they get frustrated with the time it
takes and often get timeouts and issues where outlook fails to fetch a
mail yet gmail thinks it was retrieved - users then complain of
"missing" emails.

Is there a way that we could use dovecot (or similar?) to act as an imap
"proxy" and users connect to dovecot while dovecot connects to gmail?

Thanks
Paul