[Dovecot] Expire plugin - where to start?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 15 23:39:19 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 21:35 +0100, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> I'm running Dovecot 1.1.3

I'm pretty sure expire plugin is broken with this version. v1.1.17 had
the last fixes to it.

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Expire
>
> Leaves me to scared to try anything. It's all working and I don't want to
> break it or delete anyone's mail. The problem that the wiki isn't accurate
> to the version I'm running. For example /usr/libexec/dovecot/expire-tool.sh
> doesn't exist.

The wiki is written a bit badly there. The expire-tool.sh is included in
the v1.2.x section in the wiki page. I'll try to clean it up a bit.

> Am I being paranoid? Possibly, but I don't want to be posting a "Help! I've
> wrecked my config and deleted all my friend's mail" type message. (Okay, I'd
> take a backup first). So could some kind person point me at the latest
> documentation?

The problem has never been that expire plugin deletes mails too early.
It's always been that it doesn't seem to delete anything. :)