[Dovecot] dsync - one or two ways?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 17 22:51:47 EEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 12:06 -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> So is this targeted as a kind of replication solution then?

Either continuous replication or just one-off user moves/conversions
without locking the mailbox and without losing changes done during the
move/conversion.

I think even using dsync for backups should be considered as two-way
replication. If there really are some new mails in your backup server
that aren't in the primary server, it most likely means you just lost
some mails on your primary server and you need to get them back.

Sure if you can think of some other uses for it I'd like to hear. But I
if you were just planning on copying new mails from a server with
completely different mails, I don't really think dsync should be used
for that. Wouldn't it be easier to just have the mails forwarded
directly there on SMTP level?