[Dovecot] dsync - one or two ways?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 17 22:59:49 EEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 15:57 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > I think even using dsync for backups should be considered as two-way
> > replication. If there really are some new mails in your backup server
> > that aren't in the primary server, it most likely means you just lost
> > some mails on your primary server and you need to get them back.
>
> Or you just deleted them and *don't* want them back... ;)

Ah, but dsync catches those too!

If a message exists in one side but doesn't exist on the other side,
dsync asks for a list of recently expunged messages. If it finds the
message from there with same IMAP UID and same GUID, it's expunged from
the other side too.

Basically the same will work with mailbox deletions and unsubscribes
too. It'll just need to store a list of mailbox GUIDs there were
deleted/unsubscribed.