[Dovecot] dsync - one or two ways?

Ralph Seichter dovecot-ml at seichter.de
Sat Jul 18 09:20:05 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> dsync in Dovecot v2.0 tree is a new utility for syncing a mailbox in two
> locations.

I am very, very pleased to hear that you are working on this! Just at
this moment, I am busy replacing a Dovecot IMAP based server with one
with more powerful hardware, and until the tests are complete I want to
operate both machines simultaneosly, so synchronisation is a big issue.

> Does anyone want dsync to only sync changes from source to destination,
> instead of doing a full two-way sync?

If you want a decision "one-way XOR two-way", I'd definitely prefer the
two-way sync option. If you can offer both sync types, all the better.

BTW, if you have not yet planned to include them, I suggest exception
lists. The default would be to sync all messages in all folders for a
given list of users, right? It would be nice to be able to configure
dsync to achieve the following, too:

  "Don't sync folders Trash, Junk, *.Newsletter, Boring.*"
  "Don't sync messages of a size greater than 2 MB"

What do you think?

-R