[Dovecot] vpopmail and shared mailbox

David Fuchs php4flicks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 20:46:33 EEST 2009

hi all,

I'm a long time courier-imap user and just switched to dovecot-1.2.1. my MTA
is qmail and all user accounts are virtual vpopmail users.

getting dovecot to work was mostly painless, but I am desperately trying to
share a user's mailbox and can't seem to figure out how. unfortunately the
documentation is not very helpful.

I am trying to share the mailbox /home/vpopmail/domains/
example.com/someuser/Maildir

here's what I put in dovecot.conf:

namespace shared {
  separator = .
  prefix = shared.%%u.
  location =
maildir:/home/vpopmail/domains/%%d/%%n/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
  subscriptions = no
  list = yes
}

I then logged in as someuser and did a "setacl anyone Inbox lrip".
/home/vpopmail/domains/example.com/shared-mailboxes.db now contains an entry

shared/shared-boxes/anyone/someuser at example.com
1

and /home/vpopmail/domains/example.com/someuser/Maildir/dovecot-acl has

anyone ilpr

however, when I connect to the server, the client does not see the "shared"
namespace. also, dovecot seems to be creating empty shared-mailboxes.db in
/home/vpopmail/domains/example/ (missing .com!).

I'm very confused at this point, but I'm sure someone has gotten this to
work and can help me out. fwiw, the output of dovecot -n is appended.

thanks!
- Dave.