[Dovecot] Newbie: unable to access mailbox more than once

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 27 01:58:13 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 13:50 +1000, Matt Petoe wrote:
> 12:00:21.297181 fcntl64(9, F_SETLKW64, {type=F_RDLCK, whence=SEEK_SET,
> start=0, len=0}
>
> I have set the locks to dotlock_try followed by fcntl. The trace above
> seemed to fail with the dotlock, and proceed to fcntl?
..
> mbox_read_locks: dotlock_try fcntl
> mbox_write_locks: dotlock_try fcntl

1) This setting means that it uses BOTH dotlock_try and fcntl. You
probably want to set it to just "dotlock".

2) The mbox_*_locks settings affect only when locking mbox. It doesn't
affect index file locking, which is where the above strace hangs. So you
should also set "lock_method = dotlock".

In any case there's something wrong in your NFS setup's lockd. It just
shouldn't be hanging there.

As for looking at the index file contents, you could use "idxview" to
look at dovecot.index and "logview" to look at dovecot.index.log files.