[Dovecot] Public folders, individual SEEN flags

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Mon Jul 27 18:56:51 EEST 2009

Hi list

I'm trying to set up shared public folders with individual SEEN flags.
I've set up three test users, but as soon as one of them marks a mail in
the public folder as seen or unseen, that change is propagated to all
three users. If I watch the dovecot.index.log file in each user's
directory for the public folder, I see all three change their last access
time as soon as one user changes the SEEN status of a mail.

Any hints as to what I'm doing wrong gratefully received, thanks.
# dovecot --version
1.2.1
# dovecot -n
# 1.2.1: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.26-2-686 i686 Debian 5.0.2
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: shared/
  location: maildir:/home/publicfolders:INDEX=~/Maildir/public
  list: yes
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam