[Dovecot] High Availability strategies

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 27 21:43:36 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 10:22 -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Ed W wrote:
> > I think there is a whitepaper from Dovecot's current main sponsor
> > (before they were called Rackspace) which described their architecture
> > using pairs of servers and DRBD between them.  Each server is moderately
> > loaded and active.  If one server fails then half the users don't notice
> > and the other half get switched over to what is really their slave server.

The whitepaper is pretty outdated, I don't think we want to show it to
people anymore. :)

> > Seemed like an elegant architecture...
> >

> It's stupidly simple but it works. If you have two spare systems to make
> a lab out of you'll be surprised how easy it really is. The only thing I
> hate about it is the idle slave hardware just because I feed bad about
> powerful machines sitting around waiting for something to happen.

Another possibility is to do cross-replication, i.e. server a is
replicating to b, and b is replicating to a. The problem with that is
that if either one breaks, the other server now handles twice the number
of users..