[Dovecot] lock files causing time outs with Thunderbird

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Thu Jul 30 19:07:15 EEST 2009

Okay,
    I think I got a test that can recreate the .lock file staying around
so long.  I have trash folder with about 3500 messages in it. I went in
and deleted two messages from the Trash folder.  I then clicked back to
my inbox.  There was a long pause where Thunderbird was saying " Closing
folder"  Then another long pause as it said "Opening folder".  After
about two minutes thunderbird looks to have stopped processing and
displayed my inbox.  But the Trash.lock file stuck around for about
another 5 minutes.
    Ran ptruss on the pid that still had the Trash folder open. There
was no pid for the Trash.lock file during this time.  It looks to be
doing seeks, stats, reads and writes over and over again.  Attached is a
partial listing of the ptruss command till the lock file went away.

Dovecot 1.1.16
Thunderbird 2.0.0.16

C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager            Phone: 970-491-0630
Engineering Network Services    Fax:   970-491-5569
College of Engineering, CSU
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'