[Dovecot] lock files causing time outs with Thunderbird

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 30 21:13:57 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 11:56 -0600, CJ Keist wrote:
> The two message were at the end of the Trash folder.

Is it possible that some older messages were also marked as \Deleted,
and when you expunged the two at the end it also expunged something from
the middle? (The truss really looks like something like that happened)

> I used fuser to find the pids on the Trash and Trash.lock files. fuser
> reported no pid for the Trash.lock file. The the ptruss was run on the
> pid on the Trash file.

OK. The Trash.lock file isn't kept open, so that's why fuser didn't find
it.

> By synchronous writes I'm assuming on the nfs mount options?  No, they
> are async mounts.

Actually now that I think of it, it's pretty unsafe if write is
performed only locally without waiting for reply from NFS server that it
got it.