[Dovecot] Several errors

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 30 23:13:51 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 21:18 +0200, A. van Harten wrote:
> Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I am not a guru. I am just a nerd who just
> learned the basics of Linux.
> Everyone says I have to install Dovecot - but no-one is willing to give
> descent support...

I'm pretty sure your questions would have gotten much worse answers in
other IMAP server lists.

> "Mails shouldn't be owned by root". Fine, then I change "auth-user" in my
> dovecot.conf from "root" to "vmail".

auth_user isn't mail user. auth_user can be root.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserIds lists all users Dovecot needs/uses.

> I created a user called vmail, with
> UID 1000. There is also a group, called vmail, and the GID is 1000. Then
> what?? Some chown command? Or CHMOD? Made I a mistake on the commands I
> wrote before?

If you have existing mails/files then yeah:

chown -R vmail.vmail /var/mail

> Why do many people EXPECT that I am a guru?

I think having basic Linux administrating skills can be expected when
you're installing a mail server.