[Dovecot] Clients and dovecot-uidlist

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Fri Jul 31 12:25:38 EEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 01:21:40PM -0400, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Just dovecot-uidlist, or also dovecot.index*?

Just dovecot-uidlist.

> If you delete both, UIDVALIDITY is changed. If you delete only
> dovecot-uidlist, it'll probably preserve UIDVALIDITY and just give new UIDs
> to messages (because next_uid is also stored in index file).

I don't get that : do indexes store UIDVALIDITY ? nextUID isn't enough to
guaranty mailbox instance uniqueness, right ?

And, same as in my previous answer : why would they get new UIDs ? As they will
be "sorted" (maybe because of INTERNAL DATE) in the same order ? When I erase dovecot-uidlist manually, it gets
recreated with the same UIDs (but I didn't delete indexes though)...

> Well, Dovecot reads the uidlist file lazily. If the index files still
> exist and you don't try to open any mail or there are no new mails, then
> uidlist's existence isn't checked and UIDs won't change.

Same as above : I cannot get them to change in a test situation where I delete
dovecot-uidlist, send a new mail and check mail again.

Thanks

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau