[Dovecot] IMAP labeling sometimes not taken into account

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 1 19:44:32 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 12:43 +0200, Olivier Cailloux wrote:
> Since the change for dovecot, however, things are going strange.
> Sometimes the labels disappear for some reasons. Sometimes they stay
> there. And I can't reproduce the behavior, it just seems random. This is
> very annoying as it totally breaks my e-mail management.

Yes, there have been some bugs related to handling them.

> clients agree: this e-mail has a "5" label. BUT when I open the mbox
> file directly on the imap server (using "less"), and scroll to that
> given e-mail, I see NO "X-Keywords: " line. How then can the e-mail
> clients know that this e-mail is labeled?

The keywords are also stored in Dovecot's index files. Although they
should still be written to mbox files too.

> 2-12h38-~#dovecot --version
> 1.0.15

I'd first try a recent v1.1 release. It might have already fixed this
bug. Also you could try if setting mbox_lazy_writes=no helps.