[Dovecot] Dovecot + DRBD/GFS mailstore

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Jun 5 17:51:31 EEST 2009

Guy schrieb:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm looking at the possibility of running a pair of servers with
> Dovecot LDA/imap/pop3 using internal drives with DRBD and GFS (or
> other clustered FS) for the mail storage and ext3 for the root drive.
>
> I'm currently using maildrop for delivery and Dovecot imap/pop3 with
> the stores over NFS. I'm looking for better performance but still
> keeping the HA element I have now with shared storage over NFS.
>
> Has anyone had experience with a setup like the one I'm suggesting?
> What was performance like with Dovecot using GFS?
>
> Thanks
> Guy

i tested
DRBD with ocfs
which works nice, also did tests with linux ha

perhaps this helps

http://www.idimmu.net/2008/01/08/High-availability-with-LVS-using-LVSadmin
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-gfs.html
https://blog.devnu11.net/2008/04/ha-mit-debian-lenny-drbd8-ocfs2-heartbeat-pound-http-und-mysql/

cant get GFS run on ubuntu ( maybe my fault )

didnt test dovecot and postfix setup implemented in the ha-lb-cluster
yet ( but ocfs was reported to work nice with dovecot deliver as far i
remember), i used only apache http service for testing, but that worked nice
in a vmware testing field with 4 servers ( 2 redundant loadbalancer and
2 Ha Servers )

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer