[Dovecot] sieve/dovecot folder separator inconsistency

Daniel Mayer mayer at couga.net
Fri Jun 5 18:23:50 EEST 2009

Hi,

I'm running dovecot 1.0.15 and ran recently into a problem with the
folder separators when using sieve scripts.

The server is set to use a slash as a folder separator for all
namespaces and announces this correctly when issuing the NAMESPACE
command. We are using Ingo (http://www.horde.org/ingo/) of the horde
framework to manage our sieve scripts. It creates the folder name /
folder path to be used in the sieve scripts based on the result of the
NAMESPACE given by the IMAP Server. It therefore created the path
separated by  slashes ("/").

According to my tests, the delivery agent along with sieve expects the
folders to be separated by dots (".") instead of slashes. Is this a
correct observation or can this be set using a parameter or something
similar?

The result of this otherwise inconsistent behavior is that a client who
sticks to the provided namespace creates a folder path which cannot be
understood by the deliver process.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,
Daniel