[Dovecot] sieve/dovecot folder separator inconsistency

Daniel Mayer mayer at couga.net
Fri Jun 5 18:57:28 EEST 2009

On 06/05/2009 11:46 AM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Daniel Mayer schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running dovecot 1.0.15 and ran recently into a problem with the
>> folder separators when using sieve scripts.
>>
>> The server is set to use a slash as a folder separator for all
>> namespaces and announces this correctly when issuing the NAMESPACE
>> command. We are using Ingo (http://www.horde.org/ingo/) of the horde
>> framework to manage our sieve scripts. It creates the folder name /
>> folder path to be used in the sieve scripts based on the result of the
>> NAMESPACE given by the IMAP Server. It therefore created the path
>> separated by  slashes ("/").
>>
>> According to my tests, the delivery agent along with sieve expects the
>> folders to be separated by dots (".") instead of slashes. Is this a
>> correct observation or can this be set using a parameter or something
>> similar?
>>
>> The result of this otherwise inconsistent behavior is that a client who
>> sticks to the provided namespace creates a folder path which cannot be
>> understood by the deliver process.
>>
>> Please let me know if you need any additional information.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel
>>
> With my last tests / seperator worked with
> ingo i looked in my ingo prefs but couldnt find relation
> so i specutlate its bound to general hord/imp prefs
> perhaps you should ask on the horde/ingo list
> and/or send more logging details here

I already did. Ingo takes the folder separator out of the namespace
information provided  by dovecot. Which is a slash in my case. It IMP
(the webmail part) works perfectly and displays everything correctly. If
I setup a sieve filter to place a mail in a subfolder, ingo creates the
following:
  fileinto "INBOX/mailinglists/discussion/dovecot";
which dovecot does not understand when an email hist this rule. If I
however manually change it to
  fileinto "INBOX.mailinglists.discussion.dovecot";

The same rule works fine. Ingo is behaving like it should, sticking to
the namespace given by the server but the delivery agent does not seem
to understand slashes as folder separators and gives the following error:

deliver(mayer): 2009-06-05 17:55:11 Info:
msgid=<4A293FC0.9030203 at couga.net>: Couldn't open mailbox
INBOX/mailinglists/discussion/dovecot: Invalid mailbox name

deliver(mayer): 2009-06-05 17:55:11 Info: sieve runtime error: Fileinto:
Generic Error

deliver(mayer): 2009-06-05 17:55:11 Error:
sieve_execute_bytecode(/home/mayer/.dovecot.sievec) failed

deliver(mayer): 2009-06-05 17:55:11 Info:
msgid=<4A293FC0.9030203 at couga.net>: saved mail to INBOX

Daniel