[Dovecot] Dovecot + FreeBSD-7.2 + ZFS ?

Dillon Kass lists at loveturtle.net
Mon Jun 8 00:30:03 EEST 2009

We use this at work on a fairly busy server with about 1300 email
accounts. I also use this configuration for my personal server.

It works great, I don't know if you've been using ZFS on 7.0 or 7.1 but
with 7.2 a lot of nasty things are fixed and it is very stable. On
earlier versions of FreeBSD with ZFS you needed mmap_disable = yes in
your dovecot.conf or the index files would get corrupted but that has
long since been fixed.

I don't know how comfortable you are with FreeBSD but if the answer is
very you should seriously look in to either checking out RELENG_7
(optimal) or grabbing this source
http://svn.freebsd.org/base/user/kmacy/releng_7_2_zfs/ (use
subversion-freebsd port, keep in mind you wont be able to update your
source with csup to patch 7.2 because you will end up with an older
zpool version, you'll need to apply future patches to 7.2 manually).

The ladder is 7.2-RELEASE with the special ZFS v13 code that was
recently committed. I can tell you with confidence this runs much better
than the ZFS v6 stuff in the stock 7.2-RELEASE. We have moved almost
everything over to it and it is absolutely beautiful. You also get all
the newer zfs dataset features in the v13 stuff (like being able to
assign l2 arc cache devices, say a really fast ssd to cache maildirs).

Cheers,
Dillon