[Dovecot] dovecot and ntp: Fatal: Time just moved backwards

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Mon Jun 8 15:59:03 EEST 2009

I have been running AIX, IBM's Unix on IBM hardware for years but am
being forced into Lintel, mostly because of IBM hollowing out support,
moving to a Fortune 500 only customer base and leaving the small shop
increasingly SOL.  One of the realities of Lintel is that the hardware
is, compared to purpose built Unix hardware with a matching O/S, crap.
Partially because it's based on commodity hardware, 'little' matters
like time consistency don't necessarily work consistently.  Another area
is storage corruption.  Interesting piece here:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Filesystems/reiserfs.html

--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly,
neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors.