[Dovecot] Mailbox isn't a valid mbox file

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Jun 8 20:56:26 EEST 2009

--On Monday, June 08, 2009 10:09 AM -0700 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> It's always only the From line that it doesn't like. Do you really have
> "tss at iki.fi" instead of "tss at iki.fi"? That's why it's not working.
> It's expecting: From single-word timestamp.

That's what's in the file. It's possible I grabbed an archive from mailman
and dropped it in the directory ages ago, as mailman obfuscates addresses
like that. Perhaps 0.99 wasn't as fussy about the separator line and just
looked for "From " at the beginning of a line. (Not saying fussy is bad. ;))

I can probably cook up a Perl regex to fix it but it's just a couple of
list archives at this point so I'm not too worried about them. My biggest
problem was that the mail client (Mulberry) was stopping it's new-mail scan
over my hiearchy when it hit the bad folders, so I had to move them out of
the tree.