[Dovecot] Login processes in Dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 9 00:28:00 EEST 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> Thanks, I have been looking at those adjustments.  My concern, is
> that if Dovecot uses a process per imap or pop connection, 2048 is
> not nearly enough for any significant email system.

Yes, it uses a process per each logged in user. POP3 processes are
short living sho they shouldn't matter much, but yeah, if you have
lots of IMAP connections that can become a problem. But typically what
I've seen a single server can handle maybe 1000 simultaneous
connections before running out of disk I/O. So are you sure the fd
limit is the first problem you run into?

You could of course also apply Apple's multiple-connections-per-
process patch posted to this list some months ago or wait for Snow
Leopard which distributes Dovecot with that patch..