[Dovecot] IMP reading entire mailbox

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Tue Jun 9 20:58:48 EEST 2009

Quoting "Timo Sirainen" <tss at iki.fi>:

> On Jun 9, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Chris O'Regan wrote:
>
>> IMP is periodically checking this user's mail every five minutes. Each
>> time it does, the his entire mailbox is being read. I initially thought
>> it might be an indexing problem since I am also seeing messages such as
>> this in the logs:
>>
>> Corrupted index cache file
>> /local/data/dovecot/indexes/mail/X/XXXXXXXX/.imap/delivery.log/dovecot.index.cache: Broken MIME parts for mail UID
>> 30880
>
> Is it always this same UID? How often does it happen? Every 5
> minutes? Can you reproduce this manually somehow? If there's a way
> to reproduce this, I'd like to get a copy of the mailbox. You can
> put the mailbox through http://dovecot.org/tools/mbox-anonymize.pl
> and hopefully it will then still break.
>
> Dovecot anyway detects that data in cache file is corrupted, so it
> deletes the entire cache file. If IMP actually fetches something
> like BODY or BODYSTRUCTURE for all messages, that causes all the
> messages to be read since the cache was just deleted.

IMP also has an option to preview messages.  It reads the entire
contents of the messages (should only be 20 or so for the 'current'
INBOX window), and will display the first 200 characters or so of the
email.  Is it possible the numbers you're seeing reflect the total
size of his most current 20 emails?

Rick