[Dovecot] IMP reading entire mailbox

Chris O'Regan chris at encs.concordia.ca
Tue Jun 9 21:54:12 EEST 2009

> IMP also has an option to preview messages.  It reads the entire
> contents of the messages (should only be 20 or so for the 'current'
> INBOX window), and will display the first 200 characters or so of the
> email.  Is it possible the numbers you're seeing reflect the total
> size of his most current 20 emails?

I am fairly confident that IMP is reading the entire mailbox. The burst
of traffic caused by this user's imap process was about 500MB in size
(as reported by iptraf), same as the size of the user's mailbox, same as
the "bytes out" reported by Dovecot. The user has close to 4000 messages
in his mailbox. I just verified that the maximum messages per page that
can be set is 999.

Thanks.

--
Chris O'Regan <chris at encs.concordia.ca>
Senior Unix Systems Administrator, Academic IT Services