[Dovecot] IMP reading entire mailbox

Chris O'Regan chris at encs.concordia.ca
Tue Jun 9 22:28:42 EEST 2009

> Unfortunately, with IMP 4.x we are limited to the API provided by
> c-client/PHP imap module.  This API is *horribly* inefficient and does
> all sorts of terrible IMAP things that are
> unnecessary/inefficient/embarassing.  So it is conceivable that the
> entire mailbox is scanned when a mailbox refresh occurs.

I discussed this with our network administrator and he is not convinced
since we weren't seeing this problem prior to the migration to Dovecot a
couple of weeks ago (and the last time the user was seen logged in prior
to last Thursday when he reappeared and the problem started).

It's just peculiar that we are seeing a problem with only one user. I
have a feeling that the corrupt cache files are related since no other
user has triggered these messages.

Thanks.

--
Chris O'Regan <chris at encs.concordia.ca>
Senior Unix Systems Administrator, Academic IT Services