[Dovecot] dovecot and ntp: Fatal: Time just moved backwards

Eugene genie at geniechka.ru
Wed Jun 10 00:01:28 EEST 2009

Hello

From: "Timo Sirainen" <tss at iki.fi>
>> But really, all this leads is that admin has to detect the dovecot
>> termination and simply go and restart it manually -- after some bad
>> thoughts.
> Or the admin actually permanently fixes the time.

In most cases we talk about, it can't be fixed permanently because this
happens after (cold or warm) system restart, when ntpd can take up to 15
minutes (and in most cases about 3-5 minutes) to actually resync the time.

And since people are forced to restart Dovecot anyway, despite terrible
warnings, and then nothing bad happens, people get the feeling that the
problem is really artificially complicated  =)

Regards
Eugene