[Dovecot] dovecot and ntp: Fatal: Time just moved backwards

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Wed Jun 10 09:58:19 EEST 2009

Matthijs Kooijman wrote:

> but I think it's not so trivial to handle this properly, without risking data
> loss (as Timo pointed out, immediately restarting is not really helping, since
> you'll still be running in the past.

It would be interesting (as I do not know anything about the dovecot
internals) why the current time is so important for dovecot. In my
simple thinking the mail server has to manage a set of mails that all
have a time stamp. Why is the time that the mail server is running in
important for this management?

Thanks,
Arno