[Dovecot] dovecot and ntp: Fatal: Time just moved backwards

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Wed Jun 10 13:36:04 EEST 2009

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 6/10/2009, Arno Wald (arno.wald at netcologne.de) wrote:
>> Why is the time that the mail server is running in important for this
>> management?
>
> No offense, but are you serious?

Well, I really meant the question seriously. A server gets mails, stores
them and delivers them again, regardless of the current time. The only
thing that is logical for me in case of a wrong time setting is, that
the retrieval time stamp will be wrong. But why has a mail server a
problem in handling mails with a future time stamp?

> If so, I certainly hope you aren't
> running a public mail server.

No I do not. Mail server/handling and network configuration is one of
the big magics for me.