[Dovecot] IMP reading entire mailbox

Chris O'Regan chris at encs.concordia.ca
Wed Jun 10 17:55:52 EEST 2009

> I have another hunch. Time to speak to the user...

He is now using a different client to access his mail and the problem
has gone away. I have asked him to try IMP again as I wish to confirm my
hunch.

Evidence suggests that he was away the day we migrated from uw-imap to
Dovecot but left himself logged in to IMP. He did not return until
Thursday, at which point he resumed using IMP. I suspect that he did not
actually start a new session, he just revived the existing one. My hunch
is that IMP became very confused when we switched IMAP servers, and fell
back to re-reading the entire mailbox each time it connected to the
server. If I am correct, then we should see normal usage when he next
accesses IMP with a fresh session.

If I can confirm this, then I don't think there is much that can be done
to "fix" the problem in either IMP or Dovecot as it is a very unique
case that will rarely be encountered. And we did warn people to close
their mail before the maintenance........

Thanks everyone!

--
Chris O'Regan <chris at encs.concordia.ca>
Senior Unix Systems Administrator, Academic IT Services