[Dovecot] unable to send mails via postfix/dovecot SASL

Michal Szymanski msz at astrouw.edu.pl
Thu Jun 11 13:02:24 EEST 2009

Hello,

I have a freshly setup postfix/dovecot mail server (after a server
upgrade I decided to change my sendmail/popper conf to something more
modern :)

It mostly works, there is no problem in sending/receiving mails in local
network, both using text clients like mutt or pine dealing with the
incoming/outcoming mail directly. Also dovecot works fine with SSL
authentication from the outside world (home computers etc) but only for
reading the mail.

I have been struggling for several days already to get
postfix/dovecot/SSL trio to work for sending (relaying) mail from the
home computers (but also from local network) via my server to the final
recipients, using authenticated connections. I followed
http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL
hints for the configuration of postfix and dovecot (see output of
dovecot -n and postconf -n commands below). I also uncommented
"smtps" line in /etc/postfix/master.cf file (otherwise postfix was
refusing any connections to secure SMTP port). For a while, I
uncommented also "submission" line there but to no success either.

Now when I try to send a mail from my home PC, using Thuinderbird
2.0.0.21, with SSL connection configured for outgoing smtp server (port
465), using username/password, it shows "Connected to server..." message
but after a minute or so, it fails saying that the connection to SMTP
server failed.

The server log shows:
11:51:24 sirius postfix/smtpd[15126]: connect from my_home_pc_name/ip
Jun 11 11:52:25 sirius postfix/smtpd[15126]: lost connection after
    UNKNOWN from from my_home_pc_name/ip
Jun 11 11:52:25 sirius postfix/smtpd[15126]: disconnect from my_home_pc_name/ip

There are no dovecot-related messages in the log regarding such an
attempt.

I am not sure whether this is dovecot or postfix problem but, being no
expert on either of those, I am asking help to resolve this annoying
problem.

with best regards,
Michal.

-------------- dovecon -n --------------------------
# 1.0.7: /etc/dovecot.conf
ssl_cert_file: /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/sirius.pem
ssl_key_file: /etc/pki/dovecot/private/sirius.key
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_location: mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
mmap_disable: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib64/dovecot/pop3
imap_client_workarounds(default): delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh
imap_client_workarounds(imap): delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh
imap_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-idle
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  verbose: yes
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix

----------------- postconf -n ----------------------------
alias_database = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
masquerade_domains = astrouw.edu.pl
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain,	mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain,	/etc/mail/local-host-names
myhostname = sirius.astrouw.edu.pl
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
setgid_group = postdrop
smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/access,	permit_mynetworks,	permit_sasl_authenticated,	reject_unauth_destination,	reject_unlisted_recipient
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

believed to be clean.