[Dovecot] Quota over NFS with inode limit

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 11 18:39:39 EEST 2009

Dovecot always renames files when moving from tmp/, you can't make it
use hard links. The maildir_copy_with_hardlinks is only about how to
copy messages from one mailbox to another, and it's enabled by default
in v1.1+.

Wonder if this affects rename() only when moving from one directory to
another, or also within a directory? So if you're out of inodes and
you change a message flag, does rename() succeed?

On Jun 11, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Patrick Domack wrote:

> Hmm, looking at how postfix handles this, it hardlinks the files, so
> I guess I could turn on hardlinking that way rename isn't used, and
> won't get this error.
>
> But probably still something to look into?
>
> Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
>
>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Patrick Domack wrote:
>>
>>> Looking into this some more, all the log entries that cause this
>>> have to do with rename and EFBIG.
>>>
>>> deliver(xxx):  rename(/var/mail/virtual/xxx/tmp/
>>> 1244513712.M557487P17017.5011.mail,  /var/mail/virtual/xxx/new/