[Dovecot] unable to send mails via postfix/dovecot SASL

Noel Jones noeldude at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 20:48:29 EEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Michal Szymanski<msz at astrouw.edu.pl> wrote:

>> I don't see any references to tls in your postconf -n output.  Has
>> postfix been built with openssl?
>
> I guess so. 'ldd /usr/sbin/postfix' gives, amoung others:
>
>    libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib64/libsasl2.so.2 (0x00002b71e8eea000)
>    libssl.so.6 => /lib64/libssl.so.6 (0x00002b71e9103000)
>
> I did not put any 'tls' options into main.cf (nor the -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode
> option in master.cf) as the postfix/dovecot/SASL howto on dovecot's wiki
> does not mention it at all. So I thought that TLS is not required to
> make SASL authetication. Am I wrong?

TLS is not required for SASL, but is highly recommended to protect
plain-text credentials from eavesdroppers.

At any rate, don't configure TBird to submit mail to postfix via
TLS/SSL unless you enable TLS/SSL in postfix.

For easy setup of postfix TLS, see
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#quick-start
(but be sure to read the whole document, not just the quick-start section).

  -- Noel Jones