[Dovecot] Dovecot as a (quota) policy server for Postfix

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Fri Jun 12 19:28:13 EEST 2009

* Timo Sirainen <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 17:54 +0200, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
> > Timo (and all others), what do you think about such a Postfix
> > policy server implemented as a part of Dovecot?
>
> Dovecot v2.0 makes this much easier, since it can be extended with any
> kind of external services without recompiling anything. Also v2.0 tries
> to be somewhat compatible with Postfix master. I've had in mind that
> perhaps Dovecot services could run also under Postfix master. So a quota
> service that could run either under Dovecot or Postfix could be useful.
>
> I don't really have time to implement it though. You could take a look
> at how LMTP server is implemented and just copy&paste its important
> parts and make it report quota instead of doing the LMTP stuff.
>
> What does Postfix's policy protocol look like anyway?

Quote from <http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html>:

The Postfix policy delegation protocol is really simple. The client request is
a sequence of name=value attributes separated by newline, and is terminated by
an empty line. The server reply is one name=value attribute and it, too, is
terminated by an empty line.

Here is an example of all the attributes that the Postfix SMTP server sends in
a delegated SMTPD access policy request:

    Postfix version 2.1 and later:
    request=smtpd_access_policy
    protocol_state=RCPT
    protocol_name=SMTP
    helo_name=some.domain.tld
    queue_id=8045F2AB23
    sender=foo at bar.tld
    recipient=bar at foo.tld
    recipient_count=0
    client_address=1.2.3.4
    client_name=another.domain.tld
    reverse_client_name=another.domain.tld
    instance=123.456.7
    Postfix version 2.2 and later:
    sasl_method=plain
    sasl_username=you
    sasl_sender=
    size=12345
    ccert_subject=solaris9.porcupine.org
    ccert_issuer=Wietse+20Venema
    ccert_fingerprint=C2:9D:F4:87:71:73:73:D9:18:E7:C2:F3:C1:DA:6E:04
    Postfix version 2.3 and later:
    encryption_protocol=TLSv1/SSLv3
    encryption_cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
    encryption_keysize=256
    etrn_domain=
    Postfix version 2.5 and later:
    stress=
    [empty line]

p at rick

--
state of mind
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666