[Dovecot] enourmous amount of disc writes

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Jun 15 15:44:35 EEST 2009

Rainer Sigl schrieb:
> Hi List,
> on my mailserver (exim4, dovecot 1.0.0, postgresql, ubuntu dapper, about
> 500 users) I record an enourmous amount of disc writes (up to 18000
> blocks written each second) in the time where most of users are active.
> This IO activity causes wait-states on the disc interface (RAID5) and
> finally slows down my mailmachine. Is there a explanation for these disc
> writes respectively is there a possibility to minimize this activity.
> Stopping Dovecot on this machine causes stopping most of the disc activity.
>
> Regards
> Rainer Sigl

Hi Rainer first you should upgrade to the latest stable of the 1.x branch
or better 1.1.x, also dapper is very old perhaps try hardy

then retest, i run 2000 users on suse with dovecot 1.0.15 and mysql
on sata 3ware hardware raid 1 500 GB on ext3 without any problems

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria