[Dovecot] enourmous amount of disc writes

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Jun 15 19:16:56 EEST 2009

Rainer Sigl schrieb:
> Hi Robert,
> many thanks for your answer!
> Yes I'm aware of the necessity to upgrade the complete system. Beside
> this I wanted to search for a quick solution. Upgrading the system
> entails many other things and is in my eyes not possible on the living
> system.

look for parameters in dovecot.conf example which might help you
with your problem

> Did you ever measure the ioactiviy with iostat on your machine?

no i havent, why should i ,its running fine since years, i have a meassure
from an nearly equal server
which runs sharedweb apache2, it shows nearly null
iostat, only during a rsync back there are a few outbreaks
but that might be not comparable to a imap server

> Please tell me the output values. Which hardware do you use?
> I have a RAID5 with 3ware 7000 series.

i have 3ware 9550SX SATA-RAID

--
Best Regards