[Dovecot] mixing dovecot and non-dovecot access to mail

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 16 02:29:50 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 20:40 +0200, Michal Szymanski wrote:
> I wonder whether this mixing of dovecot and non-dovecot access can make
> any problems, provide, of course, that the users are not using both ways
> at the same time. AFAIK dovecot makes some indexing. Will it not be
> confused if the folder is changed and de-sync-ed with the index?

To make sure that Dovecot notices flag changes done by other clients,
you need to set mbox_dirty_syncs=no. To make sure that other clients
notice flag changes done by Dovecot set mbox_lazy_writes=no. Both of
these decrease performance though.

Also I think you should try to make sure that everything works correctly
even when using both Dovecot and non-Dovecot at the same time. Mainly
this means that you should check that their locking mechanisms are the
same. http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxLocking